OSAF Hosted Service Operations Overview
Hosted Service bugs tracked against Bugzilla for Cosmo 0.6
Hosted Service bugs tracked against Bugzilla but not yet targeted for release
Hosted Service bugs tracked against Bugzilla targeted for Future
Hosted Service bugs in Bugzilla for Chandler
Hosted Service bugs in Bugzilla for Hosted Service
Active work items
- Hosted Service metrics planning?
- Hosted Service team building: Work towards shared understanding of goals, issues, cooperation
- Consider regular meetings
- Email integration planning
- Operational scaling planning
- Discuss scaling models and Cosmo specifics on mailing lists
- Develop clear picture of Cosmo scaling architecture and its specific deployment to the Hosted Service
- osaf.us production instance
- Deploy new version of early Cosmo 0.5 as new production instance
- Tracked via Bug#6554
- Chandler changes need tracked via Bug#6555
Background work items
- Cosmo scaling
- Hibernate-based backend for Cosmo persistence
- Service locater layer for partitioning backend data among multiple physical databases (lookup user, get database to use)
- Stateless Cosmo to allow identical application servers
- Clustering caching for objects (users, resources, calendars, events)
- Clustering of session state (using Tomcat's built-in facilities)
- File product requests
- Chandler synchronization preferences more Mac style "frequently", "about every hour", "once a day"
- Feature requests for monitoring/automation/qa/operations features for dev teams
- Transaction logging for all Cosmo DAV methods, to demarcate when errors do occur
- Need mechanism to turn on new signups
- Need supported mechanism to overwrite homepage
- Change Chandler default host to demo.osafoundation.org
- OSAF blog post regarding the service [Katie]
- Noodling on http://osaf.us/ prototype
- Split roadmap diagrams off of wiki home page onto separate page HostedServiceOpsRoadmapDiagrams?
- Capital expense roadmap: [invite-only access] Details on proposed capital expenses, ie servers
- Interim branding
- Should we A) stick with *-demo or B) switch to osaf.us temporarily and then switch again after brand finalization (end of 2006)?
- Propose osaf.us temporary branding (replacing cosmo-demo.osafoundation.org)
- Place new hostname into 0.7alpha5 account signups
- Simple homepage with status of service, pointers to how to sign up
- Release definitions for the Hosted Service:
- Deployment planning (servers, network, diagrams, sizing)
On-deck work items
- Quantitative scaling model development (inputs eg num users, usage patterns; outputs eg bandwidth consumption, disk space usage)
- Branding (naming, hostnames, URLs) in conjunction with branding group
- Definition of product management metrics
- Definition of monitoring and automation work
Stalled work items
- Cosmo large-calendar PROPFIND speed with Cosmo team (stalled on Cosmo Hibernate rearchitecture)
- Cosmo MySQL?-based load-balancing research with Cosmo team (stalled on Cosmo Hibernate rearchitecture)
- Bug #6264: CMP-based backups
- Work breakdown structure, and Gannt visualization (implemented as TaskJuggler project file) [not very valuable to current work]
Completed work items
- Presentation to OSAF staff on 2006-06-29
- Purchase of administrative/test VM server for Hosted Service on 2006-07-28
- OSAF bugzilla entry and configuration for Hosted Service [Katie] on 2006-07-26
- State of the Service posted to service-dev on 2006-08-15
- Sticky plan deprecated in favor of dynamic milestone map on 2006-08-22
- osaf.us proposal for temporary branding until Beta branding ready passed on 2006-08-23
Project visual roadmaps
The following diagrams are explorations of major work items and phases related to building out a Hosted Service for OSAF.
Very high level roadmap
OpenOffice Draw format
| PDF format
High level roadmap
OpenOffice Draw format
| OpenOffice Draw format
Current plans of record
- Don't think about hosting ads or placing ads until at 10K page views per day. (Resolution of "ads early or ads later" question is "ads later").
- Hostnames of service will be osaf.us until something else is chosen.
- We'll buy one big server for a production service box and one smaller server for an administrative/virtual-machines box (running xen).
- KEI will be running the NOC (Network Operations Center).
A separate page contains an overview of OSAF Hosted Service open issues