Meeting on Jan. 8, 2004 in Berkeley, 9:30 am - 12:15 pm
| name || email || affiliation || role |
| Jack McCredie || mccredie at uclink.berkeley.edu || UC Berkeley || WAC Chairman |
| Michael R Gettes || gettes at duke.edu || Duke || WAC member |
| Gregory A Jackson || gjackson at uchicago.edu || U Chicago || WAC member |
| Lawrence M. Levine || lawrence.m.levine at Dartmouth.EDU || Dartmouth || WAC member |
| Kevin M. Morooney || kxm at psu.edu || Penn State || WAC member |
| Oren Sreebny || oren at cac.washington.edu || U Washington || WAC member |
| Joel Smith || joelms at andrew.cmu.edu || CMU || WAC member |
| Scott Siddall || siddall at denison.edu || NITLE || WAC member |
| Mitch Kapor || mitch at osafoundation.org || OSAF || Chairman OSAF |
| Pieter Hartsook || hartsook at osafoundation.org || OSAF || WAC Secretary |
| Chao Lam || chao at osafoundation.org || OSAF || WAC member |
| Heikki Toivonen || heikki at osafoundation.org || OSAF || engineering manager/ security |
| Katie Capps Parlante || capps at osafoundation.org || OSAF || presenter |
Mark Franklin, Dartmouth.
- Welcome and introductions - Mitch Kapor
- Status of Chandler - Chao Lam
- Chao provided an update on both OSAF's organization and technical developments. For details see the .pdf of his slides: Jan WAC presentation
- Discussion started by Jack on the need for a better "demo" and description of Chandler, Chao's surprise party is getting outdated. The need is for something to describe the vision of Chandler. Larry wanted something the would help explain the 'cool' principals of Chandler. Mitch commented that for the next 6 months we will have primarily an inward focus and that with the 0.4 and 0.5 release we should have a story and description. Michael said that even hand drawn mockups would be a useful tool and Larry commented that these marketing tools are needed to 'sell' Chandler to their constituencies. Mitch suggested that a steady trickle of information would be a good thing to do.
- Jack suggested that the deadline for the Fall EDUCAUSE is in Feb. and that we should be sure to schedule a session on Westwood, Mitch concurred that we need a slot. Jack will arrange this.
- Discussion of Canoga Security Model. Heikki gave a presentation. See his presentation slides.
- Discussion re. emerging calendar standards (CAP and CalDAV) - Pieter Hartsook, Katie Capps Parlante
- Liberal arts colleges requirements and survey
- Scott Siddal and Pieter Hartsook will follow up in the next few weeks to develop an online requirements survey to be fielded to approx. 92 schools
- How to engage additional schools that want to participate (e.g. Penn and Un. of Kansas) -- proposed by Jack.
- Lively discussion by all concerned. Pros and cons of augmenting the WAC; accepting additional funds either directly to OSAF or through CSG; potential for distraction/feature creep; advantages of a larger base and additional funds to accelerate development; possibility of adding an OSAF Partners Program in addition to the WAC. Jack will take responsibility for drafting a proposed plan of action.
- First dip into setting up alpha sites for Canoga
- postponed topic until next meeting
- Organizational issues re. WAC -
- Date and venue for next meeting (where should this meeting best be integrated with the CSG agenda) - Will occur in conjunction with the CSG meetings
- the next meeting is: The Spring 2004 CSG Workshops and Meeting will be held at the University of Virginia on 5-7 May 2004.
- see Future CSG meeting schedule for other meetings.
- Structure of the WAC (adding additional members from Faculty and Student populations?) - some discussion of this. No conclusions.
- Accounting/Reporting issues re. Grants- interface with CSG accountants
- Process for reporting Chandler status to full CSG - OSAF will prepare presentations to the full CSG group when requested (not every meeting)
- Jack McCreadie was elected as WAC Chair