Total number of downloads went up. Jared will investigate if he missed discounting any robots and confirm if the results are indeed as accurate as portrayed in the graphs.
Hub logins are steadily increasing which is a good sign.
There are many server 500 errors which need to be investigated. Known v/s unknown issues here. The goal should be for that number to be zero. Jared will start looking into these asap. No user complaints yet but hopefully users are not just walking away.
What metrics do we wish we had, now that launch has begun?
user-agent breakdown on hub, unique daily logins over a week, retention rate, multi-day view, how many people are not able to finish sign-up
other interesting metrics to be discussed on public list for other smart suggestions
Trademark Policy (Jared)
Jared sent an email to the ops list about filing for foreign trademark - Do we authorize Orrick and $4,000 to proceed with a Madrid Protocol filing for trademark protection in non-US countries?
There are risks, we could put the 4K and may not get it. Based on Philippe's email we do have budget for it. Consensus is we go ahead with it. Efficient cost wise to go with this set (6 countries).
Katie has action item to follow up with Mozilla for e.g taking China into consideration
We have 90 days after you file in US trademark that you can file for Madrid protocol.
On-site week (Katie)
Kate Obrien's has been reserved for the Preview launch party on Thu Sept 27th. Happy hour time, can bring in iPod and play music, private area in the back. Survey result at lunchtime on Thu 27th. No staff meeting this week but instead next week and Ted and Philippe will be the drivers discussing about what we accomplished on both the projects in 1 last year.
pro-social activity - we have 2 options : 1. painting boys hope/girls hope housing projects for kids in need or 2. clean up work in parks in sf, outdoor activity. Everyone agress attendance is optional. Philippe will send an email to everyone and see how many remote ppl are interested and based on the interest level we will decide to do it during the on-site week or later.
Katie will remove meetings from the office calendar for the onsite week. Drivers for each meeting to schedule their meeting on the office calendar and send a note to everyone.
List vs meeting culture (Katie and Ted)
one of the objectives post preview is to be more community oriented and have more and more communications on the public lists for community consumption. Move more of our meetings from rooms to IRC and mailing lists.
one idea is to remove all standing meetings from the office calendar and make sure all discussions happen on IRC and lists.
cosmo team has used it and it has worked out well for them. They are active and social on IRC. 50% of cosmo meetings have been cancelled historically.
Philippe thinks this will work well for Desktop team since most of it's team is remote. Aparna thinks having in-person meetings atleast once in 2 weeks helps connect with people since all of the QA team is in-house.
Strategy list membership (Katie)
Jeffrey asked if Paul could be added - how do we include people into the strategy list? The original plan was to include only core team members and sounds like that should still be the case. Possibly, the board members should be on that list. Anyone who has made significant contribution to osaf should be considered to be part of the strategy list.
OSAF decision making (Katie)
next steps in bringing this back up - We have all the reasons to re-surface this important dicussion a) preview is here b) lot of decisions to be made. Next step is on Katie to write up something and sending it to the list before the on-site week. Jared suggested citing example decisions to be made in the write up to help people think how they want to contribute to these decisions
Windmill as a project (Katie and Aparna)
set our sights on spinning off windmill as it's own project and it's own users and fund it itself. Bear's comments on windmill - a) need tests for windmill as it breaks occasionally b) windmill's python code needs to be reviewed. We should look at presenting Windmill at Testing specific conferences, connecting with people thru blogs and start evangelising Windmill . Strategic objective to get more users and figuring out what is the barrier to adoption. The next plan of action is to come up with a public roadmap for windmill just like trac so external users can also help contribute to immediate modules in need. Katie will schedule a meeting next week with Mikeal, Adam, Ted and Aparna.
QA team proces and priorities (Katie and Aparna)
Aparna gave an overview of QA processes, allocation of resources and current list of QA projects.
Aparna will send out a summary of this to the list for everyone to know. This will also make the role and responsibilities of each QA member quite clear.
Ted would like to know status of some of the QA projects like windmill integration with tinderbox, what version of windmill should the developers be running, what new features, what bug fixes are being made to windmill and should developers be picking those changes?
strategic long term goal - community qa, automation systems, lots of testcases from qa, developer and community
Exchange protocols in GPL code
There is clearly enough interest in this to get a conversation started and discussing all the licensing stuff. We should proceed with looking into this.
Mozilla spinning off the Email organization
David Ascher is leading this organization and Katie has been in touch with David and we want to make sure our connection with Mozilla stays hot.