Notes: Wiki Gardening | Right side bar
To view the instructions you have to be in edit mode
Structure of the side bar:
Each major part of the wiki now has it's own side bar. For example on the Apps team page: http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Projects/ApplicationProject
Go to this page and I'll step through the things you need to know…
Q. How do I edit the sidebar?
1. If you look at the sidebar, just after teams is a little edit icon. Click on it.
2. This edit icon takes you a wiki page which contains the sidebar content. Edit the wiki page to edit the sidebar.
3. After you are done editing, use the browser back button to get back to the wiki page you were working on. (Not the best UI unfortunately)
4. Refresh you browser to see changes to the side bar on the original wiki page.
Q. How do I add a custom (shared) sidebar to my page?
A shared sidebar is one that you can update in one place and it will update everywhere you include it.
1. I already created a bunch see the table below. If you still need more flexibility, I can go through sometime to show you how to create one.
I created a few sidebar pages templates: http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Main/TWikiPreferences
_(all variables are w/ out the space between the '%')
- % OSAFSIDEBAR % --> News, Now, Deferred (Note: there is no edit icon on this % OSAFSIDEBAR % variable)
- % OSAFPPDSIDEBAR % --> News,
- % OSAFAPPSSIDEBAR % --> News, Team
- % OSAFCOSMOSIDEBAR % --> News,
- % OSAFCOMMUNITYSIDEBAR % --> News,
- % OSAFQASIDEBAR % --> News,
- % OSAF BUILDSIDEBAR %--> News, Team
- % OSAFHOSTEDSERVICESIDEBAR % --> News,
2. To use one of these sidebars, edit your wiki page and substitute % OSAFSIDEBAR % to % OSAFAPPSSIDEBAR % for the Apps Team side bar info. Or substitute to % OSAFPPDSIDEBAR % on the PPD team side bar. The templates I created are just suggestion, but you can pretty much customize to what you want.
3. Reuse the variable % OSAFAPPSSIDEBAR % on other wiki pages in the Apps team area and the side bar will be updated on all the pages.
Q. How do I update the 'Global' includes, ie. News, Now and Deferred?
With each of the side bar page templates I created above, I added the % OSAFNEWS % include. This way when someone wants to make a global 'news' update it will go to all the pages with this include. News for example may affect not on the apps team but across multiple teams.
To see how I added a 'global' include on the templates above:
- See for example:http://wiki.osafoundation.org/Journal/OSAFAppsSidebar
- Click on the edit page. You should see above the team:
News% OSAFNEWS %
To make changes to the 'global' includes go to the following:
- 23 Jan 2007