IP KVM notes
OSAF's operations (distributed servers, limited staff, and telecommuting) means that services are impacted when something serious happens (network stops responding or server is waiting at a boot prompt). While a difficult problem to solve fully, a combination of TCP/IP-accessible keyboard/video/mouse control
plus remotely-accessible power switches
provides a remarkable level of control and singificantly improves response time to critical failures.
There are a few models for providing this combination. We're rejecting integrated multi-port IP KVMs (a 8 or 16-console KVM with IP capabilities) as too expensive (~$4k/ea). A better alternative is a regular 8/16-port KVM ($600/ea
) where the "local" console is plugged into a "single-port IP KVM"
. Single-port IP KVMs run about $1k/ea
The standard way to control 120V power outlets is via a serial-controlled 15-Amp special power strip. These run about $500/ea
A related, but separate concept is environmental monitoring. It's important to monitor and alert on temperature at the least. Expect about $400 per location.
| Rank || Feature || Minicom Smart IP Link || !AdderLink IP || !StarTech SV1100IPEXT |
| MUST || Java-applet capable || X || X || X |
| MUST || Serial-port power outlet control || X || X || X |
| MUST || Encrypted and authentication || X || X || X |
| MUST || Static IP configuration || X || X || X |
| SHOULD || Local KVM ports || X || X || X |
| SHOULD || Dual-user simultaneous access || No || X || X |
| NICE || VNC capable || No || X || X |
| NICE || USB support || In-cable || In cable || In-cable |
| NICE || Analog-modem backup || Yes || X || X |
| NICE || Dual serial ports || Yes || No || No |
| INFO || Specification page || || || spec |
| INFO || Best price seen || $820/ea (CompSource) || $995/ea (Adder) || $650 (StarTech) |
| INFO || Notes || Lots of other Minicom products; matching power switch is "Bay SPDU" || Integrated bundle available || RADIUS support, redundant power, WAN port, USB-boot support |
Current best proposal
- 1x StarTech SV1100IPEXT ($650) + 1x StarTech 16-port StarView USB+PS2 KVM w/OSD ($510) + StarTech 8-outlet power switch (PCM815SHNA) ($390) + 8x 10-ft 3-way USB KVM cable ($31/ea) + TemPageR ($300) = $2100
Other IP KVM candidates:
- Switchview IP (need to find info; Java capable?) $750
- Replicom K-One. Dual serial, IPSEC, IPMI, dual local, 1/2U, built-in modem, Acquired by Minicom.
- REJECTED: Aten CN6000. Basic IP KVM for $500; no passthrough, no serial.
Power switch candidates:
- RackIT Bay SPDU 12-15 (12 port, 15 amp, 0U) $439
- RackIT Bay SPDU 8-15 (8 port, 15 amp, 1U) $369
- StarTech 8 Outlet Remote Power Switch - RS232 Interface (PCM815SHNA) $600