Priscilla’s Usage of Chandler 0.7 Alpha3 and Alpha from July to Sept 2006
It has been a busy summer and I began to slack on my dog-food notes. So this is collection of random notes from July till early September 2006. Please note I tried to put some of the more recent activity at the top of my notes. I started with comments from a more recent build. Most recent build I have now is dated on 9/10/06 0.7 Alpha 4.
Up till only recently, I would only download the major releases. I'm going to try and start downloading the more significant milestones from now on.
Here are some top issues:
First impressions of 0.7 Alpha4
- First impressions of 0.7 Alpha4 and some struggles with the dashboard. Starting September I'm going to try and start sharing my triage status on my home calendar.
- Having to get the hand of finding the 'path' again in setting up my Cosmo sharing service account. I had a problem of understanding the '<' and '>' between the username. I understand that is supposed to help you put the name in there, but I didn't realize you're supposed to delete the '<' and '>' signs. Very small issues, but confusing.
- Entering the title in the lozenge, it would be a 'nice to have' if tabbing would take you to the event details area to complete the rest of the form.
I started to download the latest build since Mimi sent out an e-mail to the design list
about collecting people's usage data in Chandler.
- Love the new lozenge colors! Rock on Mimi!!
- Triage status in color and with a one click. Woo Hoo! Rock on Bryan!!
- I'm so excited to start logging my usage. Rock on Ashkan!!
A few items I'm pondering about: (may file a bug or two when I have a chance)
- What is the default sort when I click from one collection to another?
- Clicking on arrow on the triage headers 'Now', 'Later', 'Done', does not close the items. Only double click on the bar.
- There are random icons hidden in the table until I mouseover them. Very weird behavior. There needs to be a consistent overall look/feel to the icons/buttons etc. Will go over with Mimi sometime. Not as high priority, but will have to return to this issues sometime. This also includes the mark-up buttons.
8/30/06 --22:54PM EST (I was in the east coast travelling)
- FYI. Even though I had a conference call during my trip, I did not use the timezone support. I just kept my machine on PST and calculated things in my head when I needed to.
Just started to test the latest build of Chandler. I was playing around with the dashboard, setting all of my items to be 'Done' vs 'Later' etc. I still hate it when I flip back and forth between the dashboard and the calendar. When I'm in the calendar I have several overlays appearing. Then when I switch over to the dashboard since two of my collections are showing, I also see all of the other person's collection in my dashboard. I guess what I'm trying to say is if there was a way that when I switch between the two view. I can just view only my own collection in my dashboard as a default. And be able to select between if I want to see another collection.
The other thing that struck me which I am ambivalent about is the stamping icons suddenly appearing when my mouse hovers. I was completely unaware that I could select it there. Opposed to the idea of Mac mail where the 'sent' icon is in line with the line item, it is then highlighted when hovered. Perhaps it's because none of my items are stamped yet. But is there where I would be able to stamp it? In the line item? Seems like a weird place to appear unless there is something that indicates you can click here such as an empty check box. Does that make sense?
Can't click on the arrow of the dashboard, and that in addition to the header bar should be where someone would click to open up the collapsible bar.
Chandler just crapped out on me. I was about to start creating a home calender so Jeremy and I can start doing what I wanted to do several months back. To start sharing task items w/ the new build and see if we can share tasks on the dashboard.
9/9/06 --6:50PM PST
- Was using the triage status at home machine and when subscribing to my collection, I had to go through and re-triage my data. When clicking from Now to Done I would sometimes have difficulty triaging. I double clicked to make an item go to later, but then it would go to Done immediately and I accidentally clicked the next time in the list. I then had to go back and find the item date and re-triage it.
- I also noticed the date by it's day "Monday", "Tuesday" was really LAST "Monday", "Tuesday", and in my mind, if the days are spelled out for me then it should relate to the up coming days, not last "Monday" etc. Or one should label it "last Monday" etc.
- just stared to create a 'vacuum' household task. And I'd like my alarm to be weekly. I only have a choices of dates and unless I create it a calendar event, which it's not, I have to always set the alarm date.
- I have no idea what the different arrows mean on the left side bar. I'm subscribing to both my 'work' collection and my 'home' collection. Both have a down arrow. One has an arrow which the stem (?) of the arrow is broken. I'll attach an image. I guess my question is if these icons, which are so specific…are they really necessary? Or do they just confuse the user?
- Note about trying to share my gallery calendar on Cosmo and to be viewable on Scooby.
- Problems with the server/path name.
- Copied the URL once I created an account on Cosmo (scooby-demo). Then realized there was a huge DNS error message. When really I should not have had 'http://' in the server name.
- Confusion also lied in the path being in a separate spot, so you didn't know if cosmo/home/ was supposed to part of the path or the server.
- Having the '< >' on the path name was also confusing at first as I wasn't sure if the greater/less then symbols were part of the URL/ticket.
7/11/06 -- 9:04 AM
Chandler runs into an unexpected error. Check bug # 6028. Sent my repository to Andi.
I put in an event title in the lozenge and hit tab expecting it to go to the location, and it did not. Instead I had to interrupt my flow and reach over to the mouse and click on to the event details to finish typing in the rest of the information. I would prefer that if I tab that it goes directly to the next field. And return might be I just entered in the event title and that's all I'm going to do, I am done as in the end of a sentence.
As mentioned, this month has been especially busy and I haven't been able to keep up with waiting and using Chandler (please note this was an entry back in July DF-ing Alpha3, as performance has improved on the current build)
. Although I have a lot of information set, there has been too may missed meetings due to managing my calendar on Chandler and I cannot just rely on the 'experimentally usable' software. I've started to rely on my paper calendar again and to create my 'to do' list in e-mail. Currently this works for me because I'm able to save my list and work between my work/home machine. I'll document my process when I have a chance.
Just figured out the short keyboard cut to move the week forward and back from the day view. I was happily surprised about that, but confused at first. Lost context on where I was. (Please note 9/9/06 - I forgot about this keyboard short cut again and will have to relearn this.)
8/29/06 --1:37PM EST (10:37AM PST)
Running 0.7 alpha 3 trunk OSX PPC. A few things happened so I will try to list them out one by one:
- I had subscribed to Ted's read-only collection yesterday.
- Left the computer on sitting overnight, probably went to sleep
- When trying to move a recurring event on the Chandler 'editable' Office calendar this morning, the 'Recurring event change' dialog would just freeze on the screen and not close when I had selected the 'All future events' button.
- I tried to close the dialog box and it was still open.
- I quit Chandler and restart the application, Ted's collection is no longer on the left nav
- I try to resubscribe to Ted's collection and it says 'I'm already subscribed to the that collection'.
- 10 Sep 2006