Janruary 24th 2006 9:40pm - Dogfood notes on using Chandler 0.6.0
*New user's Usage of Chandler 0.6
Here are some top issues:
The interview consisted of downloading Chandler. Deleting events, subscribe to Priscilla's calendar and adding an event to Priscilla's calendar.
Information on the User
- Tested out the demo events but had a hard time deleting them once they were in the calendar.
- Had difficulty understanding the check mark in the side bar.
- Didn't have too much trouble subscribing to my calendar.
- Places an event on the calendar not realizing the date for that particular event is the wrong date.
- When moving an event from the wrong date to the right date, he lost his event. Made various attempts.
- Would like to have some indicator that he had added an event to Priscilla's calendar.
- Sync was not functioning, error box popped up.
Using demo events
- Is running Windows XP
- Normally a user of Outlook work email, Thunderbird home email, and web mail on occasion yahoo mail/custom.
- Not a calendar at all except when other people put events on my work calendar, then I get reminders everytime I open check my mail.
- Played w/ rss feeds, too efficiant for use. Prefer to see pictures and layout for news.
- Using the sample events: menu/tests/generated lots of data
Subscribe to a calendar
- Tried to delete the data in the left column, clear the data in the calendar to subscribe to Priss' calendar.
- "I'm looking at the left colomn, and I notice the color code. And I'm looking in the menus, clear or delete.
- I already tried to click on the side, and tried to hit the delete key."
- The back space key, it opens up an editor, and it looks like I can change the name.
- "I kind of expected that backspace will delete something", backspace should delete and individual entry. It deletes the event.
- Would like to shift click a bunch of entries, but it doesn't work.
- Rubber band a bunch of entries (group selection with mouse), but it doesn't work.
- Starts looking at the menus: edit, then selects 'clear'.
- Not sure what it's selected. It looks like it might have, doing clear, and everything cleared, but the left column is still full?
- The expectation is that it would clear everything including the calendar selected in the left column.
- At this point, he randomly goes through the top menu and finally finds the delete collection.
- "Looks like I can select all of the collections, some I can delete and some I can't."
- "I also notice, that I can shift collect, I pick a top and a bottom"
- Shift collect works like control select, and control select doesn't work at all.
- Checking all the items, and check all the items, edit menu/delete collection, and only deletes the one item. So I'm not sure what the "check" marks mean. going through one item at a time.
- Proceeds to go through each item.--> empties trash
- Took about 3 mins to delete everything, including the collections
Priss sends an e-mail w/ a couple of links, for subscribing to calendars.
- He clicks on link from the email. -->a download dialogue box, and a another box that says the Chander is open
- Opens to chandler.exe from file folder.
- Goes to File/Accounts, then going to View. Thought Accounts might be an email account
- Looks at 'Sync', "...but I feel like I have to have an account before I can sync it"
- Under collection, sees 'Subscribe'
- Decides to copy and past URL, then it will work.
- Would like to suggest a web page on instructions infront of the download link.
A repeated number of error about a dnsd.dll being used, and any suggestion that I reinstall chandler. 6 or 7 times.
- Error: dnsd.dll
Add an event
- Priss calendar show ups on the left side. He notices the arrow next to it. Would like to see a tool tip to see what that means.
Sunddenly realizes the date is wrong.
- "Looks like I can put a new event on the calendar." Types 'to measure countertop' (not realizing the date is wrong)
- Moves event around the calendar palette to Wednesday 10am for the event.
- I'm not sure about the time zone confims, I'd like to know 10 mins before a meeting starts in my timezone.
- Types in a detailed message in the notes
- Checks on the check mark for a to do
- There are a bunch of stuff in the to dos. (This is placed from the demo calendar) probably from the earlier set. Tries to shift click to delete.
- Would like to see the next week, would like a scroll but am not sure how to change the week.
- When the week changes but would like the position to say the same, it wasn't it doing it earlier
- Clicked on the arrows to change the week but thought it would change the month
- Clicks on the mini cal, clicks on the day of the month, sometimes it jumps around, to a later time
- Didn't realize today is the 24th, and he put the event in on the wrong day.
- Tries to move it by dragging it over to the right, will attempt to cut and paste
- Click on the right week, and the right time and made a new event. Ctrl-x key command to 'cut' the event, it worked, but when tried to Ctrl-p key command 'paste', it didn't work. Decides to select 'paste' from the top menu.
- Just deleted the event and couldn't get the event back.
- "Lost it once and was not going to change any details."
- "I wish I could put my name on it so I can sort for who I am and so Priss knows what I'm supposed to do."
- "Either I'm doing or both you and I are doing, and I want to be able to hand something off to Priss"
- "But I don't want to maintain multiple calendars, it's too much work...maybe its not important."
- "Do I have to share it?" Selects the the 'sync all button', and a error box comes up about the dnssd.dll was not found. May need to re-instal the application again and it may fix this problem.
- "This error happened 4 times, but it still lets me do whatever I want?"
- "I want to change the color, blue is really annoying me, and it's hard to read."
- "I don't have many choices, orange, but is called salmon!"
- "I wish the colors were a little less bold so it's easier to read."