Canoga Sharing Circle Design Overview
NOTE: The term "Sharing Circle" is a placeholder. The final term is yet to be determined.
Each Chandler user has her own list of friends and colleagues she would like to collaborate with, sharing data stored on her Chandler repository. To start collaborating with such a group, all the individuals in the group need to be in her Chandler Sharing Circle. This document describes the motivation and definition of the Chandler Sharing Circle and how users can administer their own Sharing Circles.
- List of People You Share With-- - A list of people or Groups that the repository owner (sharer) can potentially share with. (Or, strictly speaking, not people, but Contacts -- or more strictly still, Persona+.) For a sharee to be included in someone else's List of People You Share With, they must be a Chandler user. The sharer first extends an invitation to the sharee. If the sharee accepts, an automated response is returned back to the sharer, including the sharee's X.509 certificate which is now stored as part of the user's Contact info. Once the sharee is on the sharer's SharingGlossary? Circle, the sharer can then add the sharee to AccessControlList(s) of the sharer's collections and ContentItem(s).
Use Cases and Motivation
The Chandler Sharing Circle pertains to all sharing use cases
Motivation for Sharing Circle:
- Friends network is becoming a common user construct (e.g. Orkut, Friendster, LinkedIn - it's a convenient way of hiding behind-the-scenes complexities in Chandler, such as the exchange of X.509 certificates, that the user does not necessarily need to know
- Except for the use case of sharing to all PublicUser(s), we've observed that sharing has an intimacy factor. You don't usually want to share with anyone, just your friends and colleagues.
- Select contact item(s) and then:
- Right click to select context menu item: Invite to join My Sharing Circle OR
- Select file menu item: Invite to join My Sharing Circle OR
- Add selected contact(s) to auto-generated Sharing Circle contact group via:
- Editing the "See also" area of the selected contact(s)' detail view
- Adding the selected contact(s) to My Sharing Circle contact group from the mark-up bar in the detail view
- OR File menu item: New invite to joing My Sharing Circle
- Creates new email with
- User's Me contact
- Certificate where users can
- Add contacts to invite (if they haven't already selected them)
- Write a message
- DnD their picture
- Click Send
- Recipient receives invitation
- OPTIONAL: verify thumbprint
- Recipient clicks: Accept certificate (option to Decline)
- Recipient auto-generates reply invitation to joing "Their Sharing Circle"
- If certificate turns out to be a dummy, recipient can return to invitation and click: Decline certificate
Ever hear of FOAF
Work in progress -- this page is still being drafted?
Feel free to contribute comments?, either by adding to the Comments Welcome section of this page, or by posting to the dev list, or by sending mail directly to the person listed as maintaining the page.