Apps Team Meeting 5 October 2006
- Question du Jour : (5 min) Has anyone tried the Cosmo webclient formerly known as "Scooby"?
- Alpha4 status : (15 min) We've been heads down in bugs. I don't have the numbers yet but if I have to judge by the number of bugs we've been triaging and the number of commits, we've been really busy last week. We still have 2 weeks of debug in front of us. Please do focus on those alpha4 issues and, if you're done with yours, consider helping others, writing tests (unit and functional), writing doc and tying all those loose ends. It's much better to take time and clean up as we go than waiting the last alpha to do all of that. Comments, feeling on the status of alpha4?
- Alpha5 and beyond : (5 min) Not much new things on this front this week. Everybody has been too busy testing, logging bugs and monitoring alpha4 in general. I spent way too much of my time on alpha4 bugs so haven't made enough progress on triaging the backlog of 0.7 Release bugs. We also have an accumulating backlog of alpha5 bugs now that will also need swagging / triaging.
- Unit tests: (10 min) We haven't talked about that in a long time. I just wanted to get a feeling on how devs are writting and running unit tests. Would be great if some of you could share best practices with the group. Should we create one unit test per bug we fix? Is there a rule of thumb you use for creating unit tests?
- Issues and Announcements : (10 min) Have something to announce? Please take the stage.
- Report format: I think it would be good to adopt the Cosmo way of weekly reporting which includes Progress and Plan instead of the unique "log style" we have in the Apps team. What do you think?
- Making progress on alpha4 bugs: we broke our record for bugs fixed in 1 week (34 bugs).
- Logging lots of bugs: we also broke our record for bugs logged in 1 week (23 bugs triaged to alpha4)...
- 0.7alpha4 : more of the same: fix bugs, test, fix bugs, test, etc... Focusing on stability.
- 0.7 : Philippe to finish assign bugs and tasks to relevant milestones
Question du Jour : Has anyone tried the Cosmo webclient formerly known as "Scooby"?
- Reid: yes! worked reasonably well.
- No one else has tried! We should certainly make a reasonable effort to take a peak at it.
- John: we probably have more bugs than we even have logged, we're discovering them as we go
- Philippe: agree, we are exercising code we haven't exercise at all for a long time (email, task management, summary table view)
- Reid: we still the last expando task to nail
- Proposal: have a Bug Council every day, Philippe to check that with Bug Council members
- Bryan writting fundtional tests to cover reminders but it's deciding what needs to happen which is hard
- Jeffrey: worried about the perfect storm gathering between recurring items, triage and reminders. Concerned we can't reach the stability goal for alpha4. This worry is relayed by Bryan as well. Possible mitigating actions:
- We could potentially turn off reminder for recurring items. Looks like a lot of band aid to add for little benefit.
- We could filter out recurring events from Dashboard in alpha4. That could interact with sharing badly though.
Alpha5 and beyond
No comment on that. We're too busy on alpha4.
- John: rarely creates unit tests because his code is more functional tests worthy (UI intensive)
- Brian: is a fan of them. Writes a lot of them for email testing.
- Jeffrey: write them when writing things that are self dependent (like import/export), hard for UI intensive features (like minical).
- Bryan: same as Jeffrey. Issue is that functional tests are so hard to write.
- Action -> We should devote some resource to work with QA (Dan and Mikeal) to rearchitecture QA Test Lib. John would like to help with that. Philippe to talk to them to plan that out.
Issues and Announcements
- Robin working with Stefan on transparency. Hope to get that in wx 2.8 (November).
- Report format change:
- Jeffrey: thinks it was frustrating to log "planned" when working in the Platform team. Most of the time, nothing more to say than "implement the planned tasks and fix incoming bugs".
- Consensus: We'll continue to use Bugzilla to show progress and inform people what we are working on
- Started working on Bug#6857 In and Out collections should compute their contents base.... Discovered that cause mail is stamped in so may different places in Chandler that the collections will probally need to be filters.
- Writing last of unit tests for Bug#6807 Mail that is forwarded should preserve stamping info
- Bug#6942 Can't see the body of pure HTML emails is ready for check in
- Kept up with the steady stream of new bugs.
- Still trying to get traction on the recurrence + reminders problem. Not making progress, though I did write up a summary (which, it turns out, is partial).
- Tested make-install changes for bear; trying to help danS track down test problems; occasionally helping reid with expando work.
- Worked on parsing items for date/time information to get this information in the appropriate date/time widgets in the Detail view.
- Fixed Bug#6883(Autocompletion does not take place when Tab is hit)
- Fixed Bug#6223(Autocompletion shouldn't complete exact matches)
- Fixed Bug#6906(Date completion should select next year, if month/day is in the past)
- Working on Bug#6904(Location tab completion not working for 1 completion)
- Worked on parsedatetime library to fix some bugs and merged the changes with the Google svn repository for the library code.
- Also made changes to the unit tests for the parsedatetime library
- Continuing recurrence discussions with Bobby (for Cosmo) and with Bryan (for dashboard issues)
- Dogfood bug tracking, unfortunately not terribly successful, but time consuming
- Fixed lots of little bugs, Bug#6810, Bug#6842, Bug#6851, Bug#6903, Bug#6898. A few related to the stamping transition, a little recurrence work in the new masters-aren't-occurrences regime
- Fixed bug #6136: Edit > Delete does nothing right after you share a collection, which involved Chandler and wxWidgets changes. This turned out to be much trickier than expected.
- Fixed bug #6641: sidebar selected-and-focused colors makes the text invisible to me. However, Mimi has proposed no longer graying out empty collections in the sidebar, which invalidates the bug.
- Spent most of 2 days working on bug#6529. Only half of triage column displays on linux. It's caused by the GTK call to ask if a scrollbar is visible returning false when the the scrollbar is visible. Robin says he thinks there is a chance the latest wxWidgets might somehow fix this, so I'm thinking it might be worth posponing until after we merge the next wxWidgets before spending more time on it.
- While helping Morgen with bug#6907, I did a task that's been around forever, bug#6929: Minimze copying blocks to the user data
- Help out with various other people's bugs.
- Bug#6729:"The save settings feature does not work with Unicode" is in code-review.
- Bug#6927:"Design and implement a simple example parcel that does automatic tagging using Chandler's search capabilities and K nearest neighbor algoritm" is ready but depends on Bug#6926:"Make sure that search results from Lucene are accessible in descending scoring order".
- Posted a couple of new tasks (Bug#6922:"Improve Chandler schema to take full advantage of Lucene indexing", Bug#6923:"Include term vectors to Chandler Lucene indexing", and Bug#6926:"Make sure that search results from Lucene are accessible in descending scoring order") that need to be adressed before the work on Bug#6805:"Automatic tagging of new items" can continue.
- Will work next on Bug#6932:"Feeds tutorial needs to be updated" which entails rewriting portions of the parcel code and then updating the tutorial document.
- Mostly alpha4 monitoring: test, logged bugs, Bug Council duties, triage, etc...
- Created data for Markku's MVA project
- Staff meeting demo of the new email features, too bad it crashed...
- Worked on Budget for 07
- Spent most of two days sick (Tue and Wed)
- ran into a hitch setting up Windows to fix Windows bus (Bug#6746, Bug#6652) when "make install" didn't work with cygwin (Bug#6915).
- sent expando patch as it stands to JohnAnderson and BryanStearns for comments
- patch passes functional tests
- will atach to bug report to get more feedback perhaps
- mostly concentrating on bug fixing for now (and getting better)
- Rolled out wx r106 tarball.
- Assisted John in tracking down the cause of Bug#6529: "Only half of triage column displays on linux." It looks like the bug is probably fixed in the CVS version of wxWidgets, so we'll probably wait for the next merge from wx and verify then that is is fixed.
- Worked on trying to duplicate Bug#5897: "Sync error dialog has a swig destructor error" but I am still unable to do so.
- Assisted Stefan with the new wxGraphicsContext and wxGraphicsPath classes he is working on. I cleaned up some compiler warnings, added bakefile and makefile support, configure/setup.h options for defining the option flag, etc. Still need to figure out how to best to handle linking with the gdiplus.dll on windows (direct link to the .dll, or loading dynamically at runtime.)
- Took a first pass at adding the wxPython wrappers for the wxGraphicsContext and wxGraphicsPath classes. There is still a bit more work to do here.
- Integrated some new contribs for wx.lib,ButtonPanel andFlatNotebook.
- Fixed a weird bug in wx.media.MediaCtrl on Windows.
- Continue fixing bugs reported by my 126.96.36.199 testing group.
- Various community support activities via email and IRC.
- 05 Oct 2006