Apps meeting 18 July 2005
Due to a conflict with an all hands presentation, this week's meeting happened on a Monday.
- Engineering Issues
- Plan : Plan m5
- Progress : Posted m4
- Problems : Continue to SWAG m5 and remaining 0.6 tasks with better granularity
- Plan for m5 : log remaining tasks in Bugzilla, assign bugs and tasks, SWAG
- Tinderbox : report issues to Heikki
No change this week. Everybody was focused on m4.
We closed the last bug and build Friday night, 2 days late compared to the initial schedule. The delay was entirely due to critical bugs that we decided to get fixed before calling the milestone closed.
Philippe will post an m4 report on the Apps team page within a day and Sheila will create a global milestone score card Wednesday.
Globally, the milestone process went well thanks to the dedication of all (and of bear in particular). Some post mortem notes:
- Tinderbox : Tinderbox autogen of tarball doesn't work anymore
- Tinderbox : Tinderbox does not capture compile failure on Mac (reported as bug 2818)
- Tinderbox : Tinderbox doesn't capture SVN commit info
- We left a couple of bugs fell through the cracks (couple of Linux crashes, notifications bugs).
- We need more hands on Linux (to be able to debug on it), especially FC4. John to demo and document how to debug on Linux to whoever needs it.
- We should distribute more of the CPIA bugs around to the Apps team so that we diffuse the CPIA knowledge.
Again, this is a pretty good m4 milestone. Thanks to all involved!
We have a lot of big features planned in m5 (recurrence, time zone). There's a little concern (from Sheila) that we won't be able to do them all. We need to work on our estimate and plan in greater detail so we get better data to address those concerns.
CPIA Script (Donn) is moving fast these days with a slew of good news :
- Donn hosted a great and well attended IRC session last week
- Using Python as a scripting language : it turns out this works easily with few caveats (use the sandbox concept although our lib has it disabled). We'll be trying to get the QA interns to take ownership of it in the next few weeks.
- Consequently there's much less work for Donn to complete most of the initial CPIA Script goal so we'll have Donn's time to work on other Chandler stuff (DV).
- Donn will schedule a code review of CPIA Script code next Tuesday.
With the existence of integration scripts within weeks, one question is : will we get those to work on Tinderbox? We's also like to get those same test accessible in the Test menu in the debug build so that devs can run them before commiting code.
0.6 and beyond
We should see a doc from Sheila in a couple of weeks on 0.7. We'll certainly have to plan room to take dogfood users feedback into account.
Also, don't miss Mimi's presentation on "virtuality" tomorrow 2:30pm.
i18n : Still some questions here (and still needs to coordinate with Brian K). We'll certainly take a conservative "one step at a time" approach, not trying to deal with right to left lunar calendar display right away...
John in Utah till end of August starting next week. Catch him while he's around!
SmartSVN : New version out, tried by David and seems good.
- Since last meeting, I spent most of my time monitoring m4 (glad it's done now)
- Creates and assigned all recurrence tasks for m5
- Worked on m5 assignments with devs (not completed yet)
- Work around bug #3432: Selecting an item in the sidebar causes an assert. This source of the assert appears to be a wxWidgets bug on Macintosh
- Bug #3171 appears to have been fixed by addressing bug #3432 or #310.
- Minor change for allowing sharing icons to be displayed in the sidebar.
- Removed SidebarSharingIcon.png
- Backed out fix for #3383 which didn't fix #3383
- Fixed #3383 with help from andi. Also fixes infinite notifications bug
- Workaround for #3434 and minor bug fix
- Before looking into the #3449: segfault when navigating toolbar, I decided to upgrade FC3 to FC4. I got bitten by the linux spiral of death: I followed the instructions for yum upgrade, which failed because of a dependency error. When I removed the item causing the error it removed yum. So I installed from scratch and spent a very long time setting up the development environment.
- fixed some m4 bugs; punted some to m5
- polished the wxMac wxToolbar
- added item selection
- fixed a few more bugs
- checked in wxPython v2.6.1+
- more wxMac CoreGraphics work
- reviewed Arel's detective work on the CG gradient failure
- built initial stubbed version of CGPattern-based wxBitmap conversions
- sent status, code and notes off to Stefan C.
- currently working on the new PreviewArea? (next to the minical)
- refactored calendar is now in the main "branch"
- fixed some calendar bugs and stuff, i don't remember that well anymore
- Working on m5 stuff, starting with recurrence UI.
I spent most of my week on CPIA Script:
- I started with the IRC, and preparing wiki pages to cover its current functinality.
- The later half of the week was spent converting CPIA Script to use Python for its execution engine.
I also did quite a bit of bug shuffling and planning for the next milestone.