Apps meeting 7 June 2005
- Engineering Issues
- Open Mike
- Plan : Review the 0.05.04 work and load balance, make progress on 0.05.04 tasks
- Progress : 0.05.03 completed! Trash and Deletion spec reviewed.
- Problems : Linux box for devs, let's get that fixed this week...
- Code Review process : Philippe to write proposal
- Linux machine: Philippe to drive that through
Now that 0.05.03 is behind us, we need to get back to adding the dev part (architectural design) in the relevant specs and also add this work as tasks on everybody's planning (Bugzilla). Here's some we're already planning on:
- CPIA doc (John): 2 tasks of 2 days each:
- Clean up the old CPIA doc
- Write a "Hello World!" parcel example and comment that code in the doc
- Side Bar (John): 2 days: add architecture paragraph
We'll also have a review of Visual Guidelines Monday at 2:30pm.
0.05.03: Done! That was a great effort from everyone. See the Apps Closing Status Report. All in all, the milestone process went pretty well but we need a better process for managing the end of the milestone (better communication mostly).
0.05.04: We need to count with the regression fix in the plan. I'll review with everybody their specific schedule. The target date for 0.05.04 is still unchanged (July 7th).
Code review: I'm writing a doc on this and looking for ideas. Here's some ideas expressed during the discussion:
- Don't schedule code reviews late in the cycle (we're too busy and it's too late to change the architecture anyway...)
- Clearly separate Design Review (architectural review) from simple Commit Sign Off (that we do near the end of the cycle)
Note: after the meeting, I went ahead and found the Mozilla Code Review doc. I'll take that into account in my recommendation.
Hardware update: Jed to send me his data
Linux machine: Jared Rhine (IT) on it. We do not need to test and develop on a lot of Linux flavors but we need to be able to debug remotely (not walking to the machine and installing eveything there, rather get the Linux machine to use Python code from dev's machine and use X Serve to run the test). Bryan to talk to Jared about it.
Intern: Please welcome Arel! He'll be working on wxWidgets stuff with David.
WWDC: David is our ears and eyes over there this week.
- Spec reading and reviews
- 0.5.03 tracking and management
- Prepared interns stay (machines, plans)
- Spent most of the week lost in SVN/build hell
- Figured out how to get SmarSVN to work
- Submitted a patch for my wxImage rotate hue work, which includes the new makefiles and msvc projects that allow us do source level debugging of wxWidgets on windows
- twice fix bug #3119: tracebacks when doing Test > Import Certificate
- Worked on sorting though my list of new bugs which has grown by an amazing amount in the last week or two.
- Spend quite a bit of time on bug #2611: Keyboard arrow keys don't work in chandler, which continues to appear like a bottomless pit.
- Prioritized 5.04 bugs
- Fixed several display bugs in the minical
- Got new set of ui tweak requests from Mimi
- attending WWDC
- met with Stefan Csomor (Mr. wxMac)
- Hold'en baby Holden...
- Starting to work on 0.5.04 bugs (and the last of the 0.5.03's)
- Successfully using VirtualPC? to track down a bug that occurs at window activation time
- Vacationing in Mexico (till June 17th).